The characteristics of Idolatry (Jeremiah 2:13)
- Idolatry is depending on some aspect of life or creation as you should depend on God which in Jeremiah was categorized as a broken cistern. Broken cisterns are man-made unreliable large pits dug in the rock covered with plaster used to gather rainwater. When cracks developed in the cisterns, they would hold no water unlike the reliable natural springs of living water which always provided water no matter the situation which was symbolizing God. (Bible Knowledge Commentary/The Book of Jeremiah)
- Idolatry is dependence of some aspect of life creation at the level of worship above God to get what we treasure (Desires/Lusts/Pleasure) above God. It is using Creation as the vehicle to get what we desire/lust after above and over God.
The Creation of Idolatry (Jeremiah 2:13)
- Idols are created when we fail to look to God as the source of our satisfaction.
- Idols are created when we fail to look to God as the solution to our problems.
- When we fail to look to God as the source of our satisfaction, we look to His creation to bring it to us.
- When we fail to look to God as the solution to our problems, we look to His creation to bring it to us.
The Problem and Consequences of Idolatry (Jeremiah 2:13, Ezekiel 14:7-8)
- Idolatry is evil in the sight of God.
- Idolatry leads you away from serving God to serving His creation.
- Idolatry leads you to stumbling into further sin.
- Idolatry leads God to address you according to your sin of Idolatry instead of the request you bring to Him.
The categories of Idolatry
Remember, Idolatry is the dependence on certain aspects of life or creation at the level of worship above God, making them the avenue of our satisfaction and solutions to our problems.
Idolatry is the preoccupation with some aspect of life or creation above and apart from the Creator to bring some longing(s) of our hearts that have become the lusts of our hearts.
- Idolatry can be depending on, looking to, and/or needing these idols as the source to our satisfaction or the solution to our problems, above, and apart from God, to bring some longing(s) of our hearts that have become the lust(s) of our hearts, making the lust(s), the source of our satisfaction and the end of our problems.
- Social Media/Gaming